Hack Mac - Forums: A few suggestions. - Hack Mac - Forums

Welcome to the HackMac.org forums. You are currently viewing the boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to the features of our site. If you want to have full access to our forums and be able to post new topics, private message other users, and much more, you can register for free. Join us today!
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few suggestions.

#1 User is offline   HellsBadAss 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

First off, thanks a lot for wall the changes you have made! They have really helped make the forums better!
Though I still have short list of suggestions:

• First off, I think the "Hackintosh" sub-forum, should turn into a sub-category of hacking. There are only 8 posts in it, so it seems like a little bit of a waste of space.
  • Next I think that people should be able to receive more than one badge. When Josh was turned into a moderator, I think he should've still kept his Guru tag too. And I think that if say Nick (what happened to him btw...?) turned into a community author, he should still have his Guru badge too, they could just be stacked. Catching my drift?
  • Maybe there could be more badges, instead of the newbie to member to advanced to regular. Leave up to advanced the same, but after, maybe 50-100 posts could be 1337 poster, then like 100 -200 is regular, 200 - 400 is whatever we choose to make it. I just think we need more badges, because if you are, for example a newbie, you look up to the members and try hard to become one, keeping the forum alive because they continuously post. If there were higher badges, people (including myself) would try to get them.
  • Finally there should be a way to post picture in posts without having to have a web link. It would be nice to be able to upload a picture and include it in a post, or make it my signature or picture or whatever I am trying to do.

Anyways, those are my ideas, any good?

#2 User is offline   iD0ct0r 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

4: Attach file, and link it via the insert image tool. That should work.
I'm user 888! Cool! :)

#3 User is offline   Jeff Browning 

• Staff

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

I think the "Hackintosh" sub-forum, should turn into a sub-category of hacking. There are only 8 posts in it, so it seems like a little bit of a waste of space.

Works for me. I'll try to get around to that soon.

I think that people should be able to receive more than one badge. When Josh was turned into a moderator, I think he should've still kept his Guru tag too. And I think that if say Nick (what happened to him btw...?) turned into a community author, he should still have his Guru badge too, they could just be stacked. Catching my drift?

I agree with you on this one, but I just have to figure out how to implement it. The badges are controlled via a "groups" system, and I'm not sure if the system allows me to select multiple groups. If it does (I'll check in a few minutes), then that would be simple. If it doesn't, I could create new groups for the different combinations, but that would take more work. I'll report back on this one.

Maybe there could be more badges, instead of the newbie to member to advanced to regular. Leave up to advanced the same, but after, maybe 50-100 posts could be 1337 poster, then like 100 -200 is regular, 200 - 400 is whatever we choose to make it. I just think we need more badges, because if you are, for example a newbie, you look up to the members and try hard to become one, keeping the forum alive because they continuously post. If there were higher badges, people (including myself) would try to get them.

I'm 100% on board with this. If you and other members can come up with different ranks for different levels, I can easily add them all in to encourage people to post more often. The ranking system is very flexible.

Finally there should be a way to post picture in posts without having to have a web link. It would be nice to be able to upload a picture and include it in a post, or make it my signature or picture or whatever I am trying to do.

iD0ct0r should have you covered there; let me know if it's still not working for you.

#4 User is offline   lagoon 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Did you ever get around to the colored names, Jeff?
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jeff Browning 

• Staff

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Lagoon, I couldn't find a way to enable colored name groups for anybody besides administrators and moderators. I'll look around to see if somebody has written some kind of plug-in or extension that would let me do this.

As for allowing multiple badges, it looks like I'd have to create images with both and create groups for every combination. I'll probably do this eventually, but I think I'm going to hold off working on that for a bit.

The "Hackintosh" forum is now a sub-forum.

#6 User is offline   HellsBadAss 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

Hmm, what iD0ct0r described doesn't seem to work. Whenever I want to post a picture, I have to go onto face, post it as only me, take its link and put it in the add image spot...

Thanks a lot for all the changes, and the quick responses though!!

#7 User is offline   iD0ct0r 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

For the images, try http://imageshack.us/ it's free but'll require an account after a bit.
I'm user 888! Cool! :)

#8 User is offline   HellsBadAss 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

That works too, I find it is just a hassle, would be much easier if there was an "upload a photo" button, where you choose the photo, and poof you're good.

#9 User is offline   L3monShark 

• HackMac.org Regular

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Stacking the badges could be cool, but if it's not possible why not make a third group? For example, if Josh is a moderator and a Guru, he would get the "Super Moderator" badge. Just a suggestion...
Why do we hackers freely give out information that even the total beginner may use as a two-edged sword of cyberspace power? We do this "to turn over to mankind at large the greatest possible power to control the world and deal with it according to its lights and values." -- Robert J. Oppenheimer, head of the Manhattan Project, which created the world's first nuclear weapons.

FEDS <3 L3MONSHARK

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users