Hack Mac - Forums: Why would you want to make a hackintosh? - Hack Mac - Forums

Welcome to the HackMac.org forums. You are currently viewing the boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to the features of our site. If you want to have full access to our forums and be able to post new topics, private message other users, and much more, you can register for free. Join us today!
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why would you want to make a hackintosh?

#1 User is offline   Hypno 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

What's the benefit of making a Hackintosh vs. just getting a Mac computer? It seems like a lot of trouble and I'm not sure why people would do that.

#2 User is offline   Evan Savage 

• Staff

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

I think the biggest benefit is the cost. While Macs are very expensive, you can get the hardware to make a Hackintosh pretty cheaply. Cost is very important for a lot of people, so that's certainly a factor.

#3 User is offline   MacMischief 

• PipPip

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

also, it's fun to tinker with computers. when you make a hackintosh, you know that you made the computer all by yourself, which is pretty cool.

#4 User is offline   Hypno 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Ok, those reasons make sense. Thanks guys – I'll stick to my Apple-made computers!

#5 User is offline   Jeff Browning 

• Staff

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

I think a big factor is definitely the cost, like Evan said, as well as the customization that it provides.

Alex and I have both built hackintoshes, and what was great is that our configurations cost around $1,000 and the equivalent Mac Pro's were placed closer to $3-4,000!

Also, while Apple's configuration pages are great, we were also able to configure our own options and tailor the machines for our needs.

If you're going to build a hackintosh, you do need to be prepared for dealing with bugs and issues when updating, and not be afraid of tinkering with OS drivers. It's definitely not for everybody, but for some of us it's a welcome challenge. :)

#6 User is offline   Carol 

• Pip

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

For the cost and fun?? Cannot imagine..............
No pains, no gains.
Amac keylogger for mac

#7 User is offline   Nick 

• HackMac.org Regular

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

View PostJeff Browning, on 25 April 2011 - 02:01 AM, said:

I think a big factor is definitely the cost, like Evan said, as well as the customization that it provides.

Alex and I have both built hackintoshes, and what was great is that our configurations cost around $1,000 and the equivalent Mac Pro's were placed closer to $3-4,000!

Also, while Apple's configuration pages are great, we were also able to configure our own options and tailor the machines for our needs.

If you're going to build a hackintosh, you do need to be prepared for dealing with bugs and issues when updating, and not be afraid of tinkering with OS drivers. It's definitely not for everybody, but for some of us it's a welcome challenge. :)

Jeff, Im sure the hack-mac community would love a tutorial on it! ;)

Until then, for anyone interested i highly recommend checking this out.

Edit: Supposedly all of these tonymac builds are lion compatible!

#8 User is offline   Jeff Browning 

• Staff

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

I swear that we're working on it, haha.

When Lion was released, we decided to ditch what we had and start again from scratch, so that's one of the main reasons for the delay. Well, that plus sporadic vacationing over the summer. ;)

For now, tonyx86 is a great site to get started from. I'll try to keep you guys posted with more frequent updates on that.

#9 User is offline   ThunderKid Zero 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hmm i would love to learn more ;)

#10 User is offline   WhiteHat 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Hackintosh can be good for you, I mean there are too many "if"s. The positive factor is the cost (Which i might rebut in this post) but there are quite a lot of negative factors. Firstly you have to have the right hardware, if you don't then you better go get some which could add upto 600-1000 buks (If u wanna get it cheap then theres always ebay). Say you have a job which u get paid $25 an hour (pretty shit pay) , you could just go on with your work but if u take time off to build a hackintosh then it would cost about 1 week atleast? now multiply 25 (Money you would earn in an hour) *7 (Days in a week) *4 (Hours a day). Thats another 672 buks. And if the hackintosh doesnt work then that money is down the drain too. Thats around 1672 buks spent on making a mac which turns out to be ILLEGAL. OR you can just buy a normal mac for about $999 and its legal :D

#11 User is offline   PogoHAck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostWhiteHat, on 15 October 2011 - 06:20 AM, said:

Hackintosh can be good for you, I mean there are too many "if"s. The positive factor is the cost (Which i might rebut in this post) but there are quite a lot of negative factors. Firstly you have to have the right hardware, if you don't then you better go get some which could add upto 600-1000 buks (If u wanna get it cheap then theres always ebay). Say you have a job which u get paid $25 an hour (pretty shit pay) , you could just go on with your work but if u take time off to build a hackintosh then it would cost about 1 week atleast? now multiply 25 (Money you would earn in an hour) *7 (Days in a week) *4 (Hours a day). Thats another 672 buks. And if the hackintosh doesnt work then that money is down the drain too. Thats around 1672 buks spent on making a mac which turns out to be ILLEGAL. OR you can just buy a normal mac for about $999 and its legal :D

I really don't see why a hackintosh would be illegal. As long as you paid for the operatorating system why would it matter. People use programs to run mac on pcs all the time. So why would it be illegal to make your own computer?

#12 User is offline   HellsBadAss 

• HackMac.org Regular
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Also your calculations aren't exactly accurate as you could just make it on your free time. Making a hackintosh is cheaper than buying a normal Mac.

#13 User is offline   Jasper 

• PipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Wait a second, you could just buy the 'mac mini' right?
As far as i know this is a little piece of hardware of apple, hook it up at windows and you can have the fully mac operating system just on a windows pc?

Are there any problems on this hardware too?
Make a hackintosh without any official apple hardware doesn't seems like a good idea to me, with my eyes on very slow connections and other issues.

Will be following this topic.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users